What will happen if my car is stolen or not recovered?

Your car is stolen and not recovered.
After a year you can apply to have its registration number transferred to your replacement car as long as certain conditions of the transfer scheme are met.
In addition the following must also apply:
• the theft must have been reported to the police
• the theft has been on DVLA records for at least 12 months (the police should tell DVLA for you) but for no more than three years
• the car had a valid MOT certificate when it was stolen
• the car had valid car tax at the time of theft.
To apply, or for more information, write to:
Personalised Registrations
SA99 1DS
You will need to give the registration number.
If your vehicle is recovered and you or your insurer decide to sell or destroy it, you’ll need to apply to keep or transfer your registration number online at or using
form V317 before the vehicle is disposed of.
Posted in:
Articles by:

Comment on this FAQ

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.